Place:


St Giles on the Heath  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Giles on the Heath like this:

GILES (St.) ON-THE-HEATH, a parish in Holsworthy district, Devon; on the river Tamar, near the Bude canal and the boundary with Cornwall, 4½ miles NN E of Launceston r. station, and 12 NW of Tavistock. Post town Launceston. Acres, 3, 044. Real property, £1, 659. Pop., 342. Houses, 64. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £96. Patrons, Lady Suffield and others. The church is ancient; consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with a tower; contains many monumental memorials; and was repaired in 1858.

St Giles on the Heath through time

St Giles on the Heath is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Giles on the Heath itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Giles on the Heath, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1924

Date accessed: 29th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Giles on the Heath ".