Place:


Long Newton  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Long Newton like this:

NEWTON (Long), a village and a parish in Stockton district, Durham. The village stands 2½ miles N E of Middleton and Dinsdale r. station, and 4 S W by W of Stockton; and has a post-office under Darlington. The parish comprises 4, 544 acres. Real property, £4, 880. Pop., 353. Houses, 67. ...


The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Marchioness of Londonderry. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £604.* Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church was rebuilt in 1857; has a stained glass E window; and contains a monument, by Monti, to the Marquis of Londonderry who died in 1854. Some remains of the previous church exist; and include monuments of the Vanes.

Long Newton through time

Long Newton is now part of Stockton on Tees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stockton on Tees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Long Newton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Long Newton, in Stockton on Tees and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1913

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Long Newton ".