Place:


Knill  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Knill like this:

KNILL, a parish. in the district of Presteigne and county of Hereford; on the river Lug, at the boundary with Wales, and on Offa's dyke, 3½ miles SW by S of Presteigne, and 4 NNW of Kington r. station. Post town, Kington. Acres, 798. Real property, £789Pop., 84. Houses, 19. The manor, with Knill Court, belongs to Sir J. ...


J. Walsham, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £90. Patron, Sir J. J. Walsham, Bart. The church stands in the beautiful grounds of Knill Court; is ancient, and ivy clad; and has a tower, with a wooden spire. Sir Samuel Romilly was buried here.

Knill through time

Knill is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Knill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knill in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1901

Date accessed: 30th July 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Knill ".