Mordiford  Herefordshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mordiford like this:

MORDIFORD, a village and a parish in the district and county of Hereford. The village stands on the river Lug, near its influx to the Wye, and under Backbury hill, 2 miles NNE of Holme-Lacy r. station, and 4½ ESE of Hereford; and has a post office under Hereford, a bridge over the Lug, and a recently-erected bridge over the Wye. ...

The parish contains also the hamlets of Checkley, Checkley-Green, Sufton, and the Rock. Acres, 1,478. Real property, £2,707. Pop., 691. Houses, 149. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lady Emily Foley. The rocks are interesting to geologists; form outlying ridges of the great Silurian valley of elevation; and include much limestone, very rich in fossils. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £318.* Patron, Lady Emily Foley. The church has Norman portions; is chiefly later English; has a transept rebuilt in 1852, and a tower rebuilt in 1814; has also a memorial window to the eldest daughter of R. Hereford, Esq.; and contains a piscina, an ancient monument, an effigies with a very ancient inscription, and a memorial of a very remarkable storm which passed over the village in 1811. There are a national school, and charities £7.

Mordiford through time

Mordiford is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mordiford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mordiford in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 27th May 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Mordiford".