Place:


North Huish  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Huish like this:

HUISH (NORTH), a parish, with a small scattered village, in Totnes district, Devon; on the river Avon, 2¼ miles E by S of Kingsbridge Road r. station, and 7 SW of Totnes. Post town, Ivybridge. Acres, 2, 662. Real property, with Deptford, £8, 226. Rated property of N. H. alone, £2, 700. ...


Pop., 432. Houses, 87. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to T. King, Esq. The manor house, Blackhall, and Butterford are chief residences. The parish is a meet for the South Devon harriers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £550.* Patron, the Rev. John Comins. The church is decorated English, and was repaired in 1848. There are a national school, and charities £13.

North Huish through time

North Huish is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Huish itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Huish, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1851

Date accessed: 14th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "North Huish".