Place:


North Wingfield  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Wingfield like this:

WINGFIELD (North), a township and a parish in Chesterfield district, Derby. The township lies on the Midland railway, ½ mile NNE of Claycross r. station, and 4½ S by E of Chesterfield. Real property, £4,526; of which £1,889 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 668; in 1861, 785. ...


Houses, 136. The parish includes Claylane, Tupton, Stretton, Pilsley, and Woodthorpe townships; and contains Claycross village, which has a post-office under Chesterfield. Acres, 7,603. Pop. in 1851, 4,351; in 1861, 7,339. Houses, 1,328. The increase of pop. arose mainly from extension of coal mining and iron manufacture. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £1,200.* Patron, the Rev. James Barrow. The church is old. The vicarage of Claycross is a separate benefice. There are two Methodist chapels, an institute and library, British schools erected at a cost of £4,000, a parochial school, and charities £87.

North Wingfield through time

North Wingfield is now part of North East Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North East Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Wingfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Wingfield in North East Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1836

Date accessed: 01st March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Wingfield ".