Place:


Swarkestone  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swarkestone like this:

SWARKESTON, a parish in Shardlow district, Derbyshire; on the river Trent and the Gr and Trunk canal, 5 miles S by E of Derby r. station. Post town, Derby. Acres, 943. Real property, £1,770. Pop., 307. houses, 57. A 29-arched bridge, 3,912 feet long, here spans the Trent. The royalists fortified S. house in 1643, but were defeated here by Gell. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £227. Patron, Sir J. H. Crewe, Bart. The church is chiefly Norman, and was enlarged in 1828.

Swarkestone through time

Swarkestone is now part of South Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Swarkestone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swarkestone in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1833

Date accessed: 07th March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Swarkestone ".