Place:


Stanton  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanton like this:

STANTON AND NEWHALL, a township in Stapenhill parish, Derby; 2 miles SE of Burton-upon-Trent. Acres, 1,613. Real property, £6,554; of which £2,000 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1,812; in 1861, 2,413. Houses, 483. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of coalmining and pottery-manufacture. S. House is the seat of M. Piddocke, Esq. See Newhall.

Stanton through time

Stanton is now part of South Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stanton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanton in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1831

Date accessed: 01st March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stanton ".