Place:


Stanley  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanley like this:

STANLEY, a township-chapelry in Spondon parish, Derbyshire; 4¾ miles NE of Derby r. station. It has a post-office under Derby. Acres, 1,470. Real property, £2,214; of which £40 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 380; in 1861, 534. Houses, 109. The increase of pop. arose from the opening of coal-fields, iron-works, and brick-yards. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £64. Patron, Sir R. Wilmot, Bart. There is a Wesleyan cuapel.

Stanley through time

Stanley is now part of Erewash district. Click here for graphs and data of how Erewash has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stanley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanley, in Erewash and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1830

Date accessed: 06th June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stanley ".