Place:


Milford  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Milford like this:

MILFORD, a village and a chapelry in Duffield parish, Derby. The village stands on the river Derwent, adjacent to the Midland railway, 1 mile N of Duffield r. station, and 1½ S of Belper; is a considerable place: car ries on extensive business in a large cotton factory, in bleaching and dyeing works, and in a foundry for the manufacture of machinery; and has a post office under Derby.—The chapelry contains also the hamlet of Makeney, and was constituted in 1846. ...


Pop., 1,770. Houses, 340. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150. * Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1848, at a cost of £2,000, on a site given by the Messrs. Strutt; and is a neat edifice of nave and chancel, in the pointed style. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and United Free Methodists. There are also large schools, connected with the cotton factory.

Milford through time

Milford is now part of Amber Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Amber Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Milford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Milford, in Amber Valley and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1811

Date accessed: 04th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Milford ".