Place:


Gladestry  Radnorshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gladestry like this:

GLADESTRY, a parish in Presteigne district, Radnor; on the river Gwyddel, adjacent to the boundary with Hereford, 4 miles SSE of New Radnor, and 5¼ NNW of Whitney r. station. It contains the hamlets of Hengoed and Wainwen; and its post town is Kington. Acres, 3, 798. Real property, £3, 070. Pop., 350. Houses, 72. Gladestry Court is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £355. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. Charities £12.

Gladestry through time

Gladestry is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gladestry itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gladestry, in Powys and Radnorshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1788

Date accessed: 15th June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gladestry ".