Ewhurst  Surrey


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ewhurst like this:

EWHURST, a parish in Hambledon district, Surrey; at the edge of the Weald, 5 miles S of Gomshall r. station, and 8 SW of Dorking. It has a post office under Guildford. Acres, 5, 483. Real property, £4, 416. Pop., 881. Houses, 174. The property is much subdivided. Baynards, in the S part of the parish, is the seat of the Rev. ...

T. Thurlow; was built, about 1577, by Sir George More of Losely; has been well restored; is a good specimen of Tudor architecture; and contains a remarkable portrait of Queen Elizabeth, and the charter chest of Sir Thomas More. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £468. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church stands high, and was almost wholly rebuilt in 1839. There are national schools.

Ewhurst through time

Ewhurst is now part of Waverley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waverley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ewhurst itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ewhurst, in Waverley and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 25th April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ewhurst".