Place:


Idridgehay  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Idridgehay like this:

IDERIDGEHAY, a township in Wirksworth parish, and a chapelry partly also in Kirk-Ireton and Duffield parishes, Derby. The township bears the name of Ideridgehay and Alton; lies 3 miles S of Wirksworth; and has a st. on the Wirksworth railway. Real property, £2, 059. Pop., 233. Houses, 48.—The chapelry includes more of Wirksworth parish than the township; and was constituted in 1856. ...


Pop., 639. Houses, 131. Pop. of the Wirksworth portion, 349. Houses, 71. Pop. of the Kirk-Ireton portion, 156. Houses, 33. The manor belongs to the Rev. Sir Edward R. Jodrell, Bart.; Alton House, to James Milnes, Esq.; Ecclesburn House, to W. B. Parker, Esq.; and an ornate cottage, in the Swiss style, to the Misses Cresswell. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £57.* Patrons, alternately J. Milnes, Esq. and the Misses Cresswell. The church was built in 1855, and is in the decorated English style.

Idridgehay through time

Idridgehay is now part of Amber Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Amber Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Idridgehay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Idridgehay, in Amber Valley and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1776

Date accessed: 29th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Idridgehay ".