Place:


East Buckland  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Buckland like this:

BUCKLAND (East), a parish in South Molton district, Devon; on an affluent of the river Taw, 5 miles NW by N of South Molton, and 7 NNE of Umberleigh r. station. Post Town, South Molton, North Devon. Acres, 1,385. Real property, £1,193. Pop., 151. Houses, 23. The manor belongs to Earl Fortescue. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Filleigh, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £286.* Patron, Earl Fortescue. The church is small and ancient, with a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £22.

East Buckland through time

East Buckland is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Buckland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Buckland in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1761

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Buckland ".