Place:


Beaworthy  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Beaworthy like this:

BEAWORTHY, or a Bewcrthy, a parish in Okehampton district, Devon; 6 miles SW of Hatherleigh, and 9 W of Okehampton r. station. Post Town, North Lew under Exbourne, North Devon. Acres, 3,806. Real property, £1,122. Pop., 298. Houses, 52. The land is hilly and boggy. The manor belongs to the representatives of the late Sir W. Molesworth. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £143. Patron, Edwin Force, Esq. The church is a neat small edifice, with a low square tower. There is a chapel for Bible Christians.

Beaworthy through time

Beaworthy is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Beaworthy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Beaworthy in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1746

Date accessed: 08th March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Beaworthy ".