Place:


Darvel  Ayrshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Darvel like this:

Darvel or Derval, a village chiefly in Loudon parish, and partly in Galston parish, Ayrshire, on the river Irvine, 1¾ mile E of Newmilns station, this being 7½ miles E by S of Kilmarnock. Regularly built and fairly prosperous, it mainly depends on handloom weaving and the manufacture of muslins; and has a post office under Kilmarnock, a branch of the Union Bank, gas-works, a Free church, a public school, a working men's institute, and a subscription library. ...


The working men's institute was erected in 1872 at the instance of Miss Brown of Lanfine, and contains an amusement room, a reading-room, and a committee room, capable of transmutation into a hall accommodating 500 persons. The lands of Darvel belonged anciently to the Knights Templars, and were independent of tenure, not even holding of the Crown. Pop. (1841) 1362, (1861) 1544, (1871) 1729, (1881) 1718. -)rd. Sur., sh. 22,1865.

Darvel through time

Darvel is now part of East Ayrshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Ayrshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Darvel itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Darvel in East Ayrshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17417

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Darvel ".