Place:


Oban  Argyll

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Oban like this:

Oban, parl. burgh, seaport, and quoad sacra par., Kilmore and Kilbride par., Argyllshire. 92 miles NW. of Glasgow, 136 miles NW. of Edinburgh, and 494 miles NW. of London by rail - quoad sacra par., pop. 3153; parl. burgh, pop. 3991; town, pop. 4046; P.O., T.O., 5 Banks, 2 newspapers; is finely situated on a semi-circular bay, well sheltered in front by the island of Kerrera, and has lofty mountains in the background. ...


Oban has become the headquarters of tourists to the Western Highlands, and is the startingplace for numerous steamer routes. There is 1 distillery. Oban was made a police burgh in 1802. It is one of the Ayr District of Parl Burghs, which returns 1 member.

Oban through time

Oban is now part of Argyll and Bute district. Click here for graphs and data of how Argyll and Bute has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oban itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oban in Argyll and Bute | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17400

Date accessed: 25th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Oban".