Place:


Fortrose  Ross and Cromarty

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Fortrose like this:

Fortrose, parl. and royal burgh, small town, and quoad sacra par., Rosemarkie par., Ross-shire, on W. side of the Inner Moray Firth, nearly opposite to Fort George (to which there is a ferry), and 10½ miles NE. of Inverness -- par., pop. 492; town, pop. 874; parl. burgh, pop. 869; royal burgh, pop. ...


986; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Market-day, Friday. Fortrose consists of Fortrose proper (formerly called Chanonry, from being the chanonry of Ross, where the bishop had his residence) and Rosemarkie, about 1 mile NE. Of the cathedral (beginning of 14th century), the greater part of which was removed by Cromwell to provide materials for the erection of his fort at Inverness, there are now very few remains. Fortrose is a summer resort, its attractions being its romantic scenery, its fine links, and its facilities for sea-bathing. It has daily communication by steamer with Inverness. A new wooden pier, at which steamers can touch at all states of the tide, was erected in 1881. The harbour is safe and convenient; but there is no regular trade. Fortrose unites with Inverness, Nairn, and Forres in returning 1 member to Parliament.

Fortrose through time

Fortrose is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fortrose itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fortrose, in Highland and Ross and Cromarty | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17377

Date accessed: 11th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fortrose ".