Place:


Holybourne  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holybourne like this:

HOLYBOURNE, a village and a parish in Alton district, Hants. The village stands on the river Wey, 2 miles NE of Alton r. station; and has a post office under Alton.—The parish includes also the tything of Neatham. Acres, 2, 564. Real property, £3, 996. Pop., 6 43. Houses, 127. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belongs to Lord Sherborne. Holybourne Lodge is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £111. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The church is old but good. An endowed school has £184 a year, and serves, in certain proportions, for the parishes of Holybourne, Alton, Binstead, and Froyle.

Holybourne through time

Holybourne is now part of East Hampshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hampshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Holybourne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holybourne in East Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1723

Date accessed: 23rd June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Holybourne".