Place:


Ardgour  Argyll

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Ardgour like this:

Ardgour, a hamlet and district of N Argyllshire. The hamlet lies near Corran Ferry, at the nexus between Loch Linnhe and Loch Eil, 10 miles SSW of Fort William; and has a post office with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, under Fort William. A church, erected here in 1829 by the parliamentary commissioners, is in the quoad sacra parish of Ballachulish and Ardgour; its minister receives £60 a-year from the Royal Bounty grant and £20 from heritors. ...


Ardgour House, in its vicinity, is the seat of A. T. Maclean, Esq., owner of 40,000 acres in the shire, valued at £2515 per annum. The district is bounded N and E by Loch Eil, S by Morvern, SW by Sunart, and NW by Loch Shiel. Its length, from NNE to SSW, is 13 miles; and its breadth varies from 8 to 11 miles. Its surface is wildly upland, and culminates in Sgòr Dhomhail (Scuir-Donald) at an altitude of 2915 feet above sea-level. A parliamentary road commences on its E coast at Corran Ferry, and goes south-westward through its interior to Strontian. Pop. of registration district of Corran of Ardgour (1881) 248.

Ardgour through time

Ardgour is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ardgour itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ardgour, in Highland and Argyll | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17023

Date accessed: 21st October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ardgour ".