Place:


Carmyllie  Angus

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Carmyllie like this:

Carmylie, par. and vil., SE. Forfarshire, 6½ miles NW. of Arbroath, 7553 ac., pop. 1137; P.O., called Carmyllie; has extensive sandstone and pavement quarries, connected by the Carmylie Ry. with the Arbroath and Dundee branch of the Caledonian Ry. at Elliot Junction. The Rev. Patrick Bell (1800-1869), inventor of the reaping-machine, was minister from 1843.

Carmyllie through time

Carmyllie is now part of Angus district. Click here for graphs and data of how Angus has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carmyllie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carmyllie in Angus | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16930

Date accessed: 12th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carmyllie ".