Place:


West Dereham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Dereham like this:

DEREHAM (West), a parish in Downham district, Norfolk; 3 miles E of Denver r. station, and 3 W by N of Stoke-Ferry. It has a post office under Brandon. Acres, 3, 440. Real property, £5, 325. Pop., 679. Houses, 142. The property is much subdivided. A Premon. stratensian abbey was founded here, in 1188, by Hubert, afterwards Archbishop of Canterbury; and given, at the dissolution, to the family of Dereham. ...


The old gate-house of it, an elegant entrance-tower, still exists. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £74. Patron, the Rev. George Jenyns. The church is later English; has a circular tower; and contains some handsome monuments. There are Wesleyan and P. Methodist chapels, a national school, and charities £84.

West Dereham through time

West Dereham is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Dereham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Dereham in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1693

Date accessed: 03rd June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Dereham ".