Place:


Canonbie  Dumfries Shire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Canonbie like this:

Canonbie, par. and vil. with ry. sta. (Canobie), SE. Dumfries-shire, on river Esk, 6 miles SE. of Langholm and 15 miles NE. of Carlisle, 24,360 ac. (218 water), pop. 2723; P.O., T.O.; contains remains of Roman station, vestiges of priory of 12th century, and ruins of Border towers.

Canonbie through time

Canonbie is now part of Dumfries and Galloway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dumfries and Galloway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Canonbie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Canonbie, in Dumfries and Galloway and Dumfries Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16929

Date accessed: 17th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Canonbie ".