Place:


Aberdalgie  Perthshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Aberdalgie like this:

Aberdalgie (Abirdalgyn in 1150, Gael. abhir-dailchinn, ' confluence at the end of the field '), a parish in the Strathearn district of Perthshire, whose SW angle is ¾ mile NE of Forteviot station, while its church stands 1¼ mile NW of Forgandenny station, immediately beyond its SE border, these stations on the Caledonian being respectively 6¾ and 3¾ miles SW of its post-town, Perth. ...


Including, since 1618, the ancient parish of Dupplin, it is bounded NW and N by Tibbermore, NE by East-Kirk, Perth, E by a detached portion of Forteviot, S by Forgandenny, and SW and W by Forteviot. It has an extreme length from N to S of 3¼ miles, a width of 2¾ miles, and an area of 4220 acres, of which 55 are water. The Earn, here a beautiful salmon river, roughly traces all the southern boundary: from it the surface rises to 438 feet near the middle of the parish, thence sinking again towards the Almond, but having elevations of 367 and 222 feet on the north-western, and of 362 feet near the north-eastern boundary. The rocks belong to the Devonian system, and freestone is worked in several quarries: the soil is cold and tilly in the N, in the S a rich loam or clay. The Earl of Kinnoull owns most of the property, and his park around Dupplin Castle occupies the south-western quarter of the parish, plantations covering much of the remainder. Near the church, but on the opposite side of a rivulet, from whose confluence with the Earn the parish received its name, is Aberdalgie House, the only other mansion. This parish is in the presbytery of Perth and synod of Perth and Stirling: the living is worth £221. The church was built in 1773, and a vault at its E end is the burying-place of the Kinnoull family. The public school, with accommodation for 49 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 23, and a grant of £45, 4s. 2d. Valuation (1881) £4656, 19s. 10d. Pop. (1831) 434, (1861) 295, (1871) 342, (1881) 297.—Ord. Sur., sh. 48, 1868.

Aberdalgie through time

Aberdalgie is now part of Perth and Kinross district. Click here for graphs and data of how Perth and Kinross has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aberdalgie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aberdalgie, in Perth and Kinross and Perthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16902

Date accessed: 16th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Aberdalgie".