Place:


Eyemouth  Berwickshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Eyemouth like this:

Eyemouth, coast town and par., NE. Berwickshire, on Eyemouth Bay, at mouth of Eye Water, 2½ miles NW. of Burnmouth sta., 8 NW. of Berwick upon Tweed, and 54J SE. of Edinburgh -- par., 1004 ac., pop. 2935; town, pop. 2825; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Eyemouth was a flourishing port in the reign of Alexander II. (1214-1249). In the 18th century it was a noted seat of the smugglers. It is now the headquarters of a large fishery district extending from St Abb's Head in Berwickshire to Amble in Northumberland. A new harbour was opened in 1886.

Eyemouth through time

Eyemouth is now part of Scottish Borders district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scottish Borders has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eyemouth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eyemouth, in Scottish Borders and Berwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16850

Date accessed: 20th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eyemouth ".