Place:


Rackheath  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rackheath like this:

RACKHEATH, a village and a parish in St. Faith district, Norfolk. The village stands 4½ miles N E by N of Norwich r. station, and has a post-office under Norwich. The parish was originally two parishes, called Great R. and Little R. Acres, 1, 980. Real property, £3, 412. Pop., 271. ...


Houses, 59. R. Hall is the seat of Sir H. J. Stracey, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £400.* Patron, Sir H. J. Stracey, Bart. The church stands ½ a mile from the village; and consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with a tower. There is a free school; and there was ancientlya small priory.

Rackheath through time

Rackheath is now part of Broadland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broadland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rackheath itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rackheath, in Broadland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1683

Date accessed: 28th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rackheath ".