Place:


Poringland  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Poringland like this:

PORINGLAND (Great or East), a parish, with a village, in Henstead district, Norfolk; 3½ miles E of Swainsthorpe r. station, and 5½ S S E of Norwich. Post-town, Framingham-Earl, under Norwich. Acres, with Little Poringland, 1, 740. Real property, with L. P., £3, 237 Pop. of G. P. alone, 464. Houses, 110. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Rosebery. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £250.* Patron, H. Birkbeck, Esq. The church is old but good, and has around tower with octagonal top. Charities, £58.

Poringland through time

Poringland is now part of South Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Poringland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Poringland in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1682

Date accessed: 27th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Poringland ".