Place:


Renfrew  Renfrewshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Renfrew like this:

Renfrew, parl., royal, and police burgh, par., and co. town of Renfrewshire, on S. bank of river Clyde, 3 miles NE. of Paisley and 5 W. of Glasgow by rail - par., 4311 ac., pop. 7439; royal burgh, pop. 5115; parl. and police burgh, pop. 5503; town, pop. 4855; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Renfrew was made a royal burgh in 1396, and in 1404 gave the title of baron to the heir-apparent of the Scottish throne, a title which is still borne by the Prince of Wales. ...


Shipbuilding and weaving are the chief industries. Renfrew is one of the Kilmarnock Burghs, which return 1 member; its parliamentary limits were extended in 1885.

Renfrew through time

Renfrew is now part of Renfrewshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Renfrewshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Renfrew itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Renfrew in Renfrewshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16801

Date accessed: 08th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Renfrew ".