Place:


Portree  Inverness Shire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Portree like this:

Portree, par. and seaport vil., Skye island, Inverness-shire - par. (including Raasay and Rona islands), 56,909 ac., pop. 3191; vil., on Portree Bay, 32 miles SW. of Strome Ferry, 60 miles SE. of Stornoway, and 120 miles NW. of Oban, pop. 893; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks; is situated on a commodious land-locked harbour, and is regularly visited by Glasgow steamers; is the chief centre of business for Skye and the neighbouring islands and a seat of sheriff courts, and is the headquarters of great numbers of tourists. ...


There is a small woollen factory. Portree (Port-an-righ, the king's harbour) was so named from being visited by James V. in 1540.

Portree through time

Portree is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Portree itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Portree, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16798

Date accessed: 04th August 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Portree ".