Place:


Haddington  East Lothian

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Haddington like this:

Haddington, royal and police burgh, par., and co. town of Haddingtonshire, on river Tyne, 18¼ miles E. of Edinburgh, 44 NW. of Berwick on Tweed, and 388 NW. of London by rail -- par., 12,113 ac., pop. 5660; burgh and town, pop. (including Nungate), 4043; 4 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Friday. ...


Haddington has one of the largest grain markets in Scotland. Among the chief buildings are the church, a Gothic edifice of the 12th or 13th century, -- it is surmounted by a square tower 90 ft. high, and its nave is used as the parish church; the Corn Exchange (1854); and the Knox Memorial Institute (1880), an educational foundation (with which the old grammar school is incorporated) in memory of John Knox (1505-1572), the Scottish Reformer, who was a native. Haddington gives the title of earl to the Hamiltons of Innerwick. The Haddington Burghs returned 1 member until 1885: they comprised Haddington, North Berwick, and Dunbar, in Haddingtonshire; Lauder, in Berwickshire: and Jedburgh, in Roxburghshire.

Haddington through time

Haddington is now part of East Lothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Haddington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Haddington in East Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16666

Date accessed: 18th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Haddington ".