Place:


Sherborne St John  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sherborne St John like this:

SHERBORNE-ST. JOHN, or East S., a parish, with a village, in Basingstoke district, Hants; 2½ miles NNW of.Basingstoke r. station. It has a post-office under Basingstoke. Acres, 3,885. Real property, £4,289. Pop. in 1851, 796; in 1861, 675. Houses, 134. The manor, with the Vine, belongs to W. ...


L. W. Chute, Esq. The Vine belonged formerly to the Sandys family; was built in the early part of the 16th century by Lord Sandys, and greatly altered by Inigo Jones; is an interesting mansion; and has a chapel, noticed enthusiastically by Horace Walpole. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £650. Patron, W. L. W. Chute, Esq. The church is chiefly later English, and was recently enlarged. There are Church schools, and charities £20.

Sherborne St John through time

Sherborne St John is now part of Basingstoke and Deane district. Click here for graphs and data of how Basingstoke and Deane has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sherborne St John itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sherborne St John, in Basingstoke and Deane and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1660

Date accessed: 27th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sherborne St John ".