Place:


Alwington  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alwington like this:

ALWINGTON, a parish in Bideford district, Devon; on the river Yeo, 4 miles SW by W of Bideford r. station. It contains the hamlets of Fairy-Cross, Ford, and Wood town; and its Post Town is Bideford. Acres, 2,655. Real property, £1,802. Pop., 359. Houses, 74. The Coffin family have held the manor since the Conquest, and have a handsome residence on it called Portledge. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £243.* Patron, J. R. P. Coffin, Esq. The church is a very ancient pile, with lofty pinnacled tower; and contains several monuments. Remains of an ancient chapel occur at Yeo vale; and there is a small Wesleyan chapel at Ford. Charities, £16.

Alwington through time

Alwington is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Alwington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alwington, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1651

Date accessed: 29th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Alwington ".