Place:


Alverdiscott  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alverdiscott like this:

ALVERDISCOTT, or Alscott, a parish in Torring ton district, Devon; 4 miles SE of Instow r. station, and 5 E of Bideford. Post Town, Newton-Tracy under Barn staple. Acres, 2,273. Real property, £1,870. Pop., 336. Houses, 64. The property is not much divided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £183.* Patrons, Rev. E. Sturges, Rev. W. H. Bond, and H. Gibson, Esq. The church is old. A small Methodist chapel stands at Stone-Cross.

Alverdiscott through time

Alverdiscott is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Alverdiscott itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alverdiscott, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1649

Date accessed: 24th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Alverdiscott ".