Place:


Caddonfoot  Selkirkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Caddonfoot like this:

Caddonfoot, a hamlet on the mutual border of Stow and Galashiels parishes, and a quoad sacra parish partly also in Selkirk, Yarrow, and Innerleithen parishes, Selkirkshire. The hamlet lies on the rivulet Caddon, at its influx to the Tweed, adjacent to the Galashiels and Peebles railway, 3 miles WSW of Galashiels; straggles about a mile along both the Caddon and the Tweed; includes the farm-hamlet of Caddonlee and the hamlet of Clovenfords; is a good central station for anglers; and has a station of the name of Clovenfords, a post office of the same name under Galashiels, an inn, a parochial church, a public school, a subscription library, a literary association, and a penny savings' bank. ...


The church, erected in 1861 and enlarged in 1875, is a handsome edifice with 360 sittings; the school, rebuilt in 1875, with accommodation for 141 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 65, and a grant of £62,3s. 6d. The parish, formed in 1870, is in the presbytery of Selkirk and synod of Merse and Teviotdale; its stipend is £120. Pop. (1871) 699.

Caddonfoot through time

Caddonfoot is now part of Scottish Borders district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scottish Borders has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Caddonfoot itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Caddonfoot, in Scottish Borders and Selkirkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16477

Date accessed: 29th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Caddonfoot ".