Place:


Abbotsham  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Abbotsham like this:

ABBOTSHAM, a parish in Bideford district, Devon; between Taw river and Barnstaple bay, 1½ mile W of Bideford r. station. It has a post office under Bideford; and contains the hamlet of Shepperton. Acres, 1,758. Real property, £2,267. Pop. 365. Houses, 67. The property is subdivided. ...


Odun, Earl of Devon, in 878. vanquished and slew here the Danish invader Hubba, at Kenwith Castle. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. value, £159.* Patron, E. U. Vidal, Esq. The church is a plain old structure with a square tower. There are a small Baptist chapel, and charities £11.

Abbotsham through time

Abbotsham is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Abbotsham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Abbotsham, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1647

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Abbotsham ".