Lasswade  Midlothian


In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Lasswade like this:

Lasswade, small town and par. with ry. sta., Edinburghshire - par. (containing Loanhead and parts of Bonnyrigg and Peniculk), 10,678 ac., pop. 8872; town, on river North Esk, 6 miles SE. of Edinburgh by road and 9¾ miles by rail, pop. 1232; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank; the town is connected by a stone bridge with Westmill, a suburb in Cockpen par. ...

Lasswade is picturesquely situated, and is one of the summer resorts of the people of Edinburgh. It has paper mills, flour mills, and a carpet factory. In front of the parish church is a Runic cross to Dr Smith, of Lasswade, and his son, Colonel Smith, the chief engineer officer at the siege of Delhi. In the ruins of the old parish church, adjacent, are the burying-places of the Melville family and of the Drummonds of Hawthornden. Sir Walter Scott lived at Lasswade Cottage from 1798 to 1804. De Quincey resided many years in the neighbourhood.

Lasswade through time

Lasswade is now part of Midlothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how Midlothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lasswade itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lasswade in Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 21st June 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lasswade".