Place:


Tealing  Angus

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Tealing like this:

Tealing, a Forfarshire parish, whose church stands 6½ miles N of Dundee, under which there is a post office. It is bounded N by Inverarity, E by Inverarity, Murroes, and a detached section of Dundee, S by Murroes and Mains and Strathmartine, W by Caputh (detached) and Auchterhouse, and NW by Glamis. ...


Its utmost length, from N to S, is 43/8 miles; its utmost breadth, from E to W, is 4 miles; and its area is 72313/5 acres, of which 4 are water, and 195 belong to a small detached portion, 3 furlongs W of the main body. Tithie Burn traces much of the southern boundary; and several rivulets, rising on the north-western border, run mainly south-eastward through the interior. Sinking in the SE to 350 feet above sea-level, the surface thence rises north-westward and northward towards the watershed of the Sidlaw Hills, attaining 510 feet near the parish church, 900 at Balluderon or Craigowl Hill, and 1104 at a nameless height 2½ miles N of the church. Trap occurs, but the principal rocks are Devonian, mostly grey slaty sandstone. 'In the lower lying portion of the parish there is a good deal of strong rich land, that yields well when skilfully managed and when the seasons suit. It is a clayey loam with a subsoil of clay and gravel, in some parts rather retentive. In part of the hollows there is also very poor soil, thin, hard, andunproductive, with very stiff subsoil. There are several instances in this parish where the land on the one side of the road is worth 25s. or 30s. an acre, and not worth more than 15s. or 20s. on the other. On the higher lying parts there is also a good deal of variety of soil, but in general it is a moderately fertile loam, resting on a clayey or gravelly subsoil which in some parts is not so open as could be wished' (Trans. Highl. and Ag. Soc., 1881). About 500 acres are pastoral or waste, as much or rather more under wood, and the rest of the land is in tillage. A subterranean building, a subterranean cave or passage, several stone coffins, and some small Roman antiquities have been found at various periods. The Rev. John Glass (l695-1773), the founder of the Glassites or Scottish Sandemanians, was minister of Tealing from 1719 till his deposition in 1728. Two proprietors hold each an annual value of more, and four of less, than £500. Tealing is in the presbytery of Dundee and the synod of Angus and Mearns; the living is worth £250. The parish church was built in 1806, and contains 700 sittings. There is also a Free church; and a public school, with accommodation for 138 children, had (1884) an average attendance of 88, and a grant of £81, 5s. Valuation (1857) £5825, (1885) £7605, 16s. Pop. (1801) 755, (1831) 766, (1861) 883, (1871) 879, (1881) 757.—Ord. Sur., shs. 48, 49, 57, 1865-68.

Tealing through time

Tealing is now part of Angus district. Click here for graphs and data of how Angus has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tealing itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tealing in Angus | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16322

Date accessed: 10th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tealing ".