Place:


Forrabury  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Forrabury like this:

FORRABURY, or Fotherbury, a parish in Camelford district, Cornwall; on the coast, 5 miles NNW of Camelford, and 17½ N of Bodmin-Road r. station. It includes part of the town of Boscastle, which has a post office under Camelford. Acres, 508. Real property, with Minster, £4, 123. Rated property of F. ...


alone, £1, 233. Pop., 366. Houses, 83. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to J. R. Avery, Esq. Slaty anthracite, dark shale, and manganese occur. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £70.* Patron, J. R. Avery, Esq. The church stands above Boscastle, adjacent to the lofty headland of Willabark; is dedicated to St. Simphorian, who is traditionally said to have been buried in it; has a tower, without a bell; and is in good condition. An ancient granite cross, on a limestone pedestal, is outside the churchyard, and commands a view of the coast. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £5.

Forrabury through time

Forrabury is now part of North Cornwall district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Cornwall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Forrabury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Forrabury in North Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1622

Date accessed: 22nd October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Forrabury ".