Place:


Barrow upon Trent  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barrow upon Trent like this:

BARROW-UPON-TRENT, a township and a parish in Derbyshire. The township is in Shardlow district; and lies on the river Trent, adjacent to the Grand Trunk canal, 3½ miles E by N of Willington r. station, and 6 S of Derby. Real property, £2,345. Pop., 260. Houses, 61. The parish is partly also in Burton-upon-Trent district; and includes likewise the liberty of Arleston and Sinfin, and the township of Twyford and Stenson. ...


Post Town, Chellaston, under Derby. Acres, 5,840. Real property, £6,303. Pop., 526. Houses, 111. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Twyford, in the diocese of Lichfield Value, £105. Patron, A. Moore, Esq. The church is old but good; and there are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, and charities £30.

Barrow upon Trent through time

Barrow upon Trent is now part of South Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barrow upon Trent itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barrow upon Trent in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1593

Date accessed: 11th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barrow upon Trent ".