Place:


Aston upon Trent  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aston upon Trent like this:

ASTON-UPON-TRENT, a parish in Shardlow district, Derbyshire; on the verge of the county, Grand Trunk canal, and the river Trent, 3¾ miles S of Spondon r. station, and 6 SE by S of Derby. It contains the townships of Aston and Shardlow-with-Far-Wilne; and its Post Town is Shardlow under Derby. ...


Acres, 3,290. Real property, £4,933. Pop., 551. Houses, 135. The property is divided among a few. Aston Hall is the seat of the Holdens; and Aston Lodge, of the Rev. J. Miller. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £1,000.* Patron, E. A. Holden, Esq. The church is good. Shardlow is a separate charge, and contains the district workhouse. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £22. SeeAston.

Aston upon Trent through time

Aston upon Trent is now part of South Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aston upon Trent itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aston upon Trent in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1590

Date accessed: 19th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aston upon Trent ".