Lamplugh  Cumberland


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lamplugh like this:

LAMPLUGH, a township and a parish in Whitehaven district, Cumberland. The township lies on the SE of the Cleator and Egremont railway, on the Marron junction, near Rowrah and Wright-Green stations, 9 miles ENE of Whitehaven; and has a post-office under Cockermouth.—The parish contains also the townships of Kelton, Murton, and Winder; and extends to Lowes-water. ...

Acres, 6,354. Real property, £6,129; of which £710 are in mines. Pop. in 1851,616; in 1861,808. Houses, 153. The Lamplugh estate belonged, in the time of Henry II., and long afterwards, to the Lamplugh family, who made a considerable figure in military achievements; and belongs now to J. L. Lamplugh-Raper, Esq. Lamplugh Hall, the seat of the Lamplughs, was recently replaced by a modern farm-house; but a gateway which led to it, inscribed with the year 1595, still stands. Iron ore is mined; limestone and freestone are quarried; and there is a mineral spring. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £306.* Patron, J. L. Lamplugh-Raper, Esq. The church is ancient, and has a bell-turret. Charities, £12.

Lamplugh through time

Lamplugh is now part of Copeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Copeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lamplugh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lamplugh, in Copeland and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 22nd June 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lamplugh".