Place:


Kirkandrews upon Eden  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirkandrews upon Eden like this:

KIRK-ANDREWS-UPON-EDEN, a village and a parish in Carlisle district, Cumberland. The village stands on the Roman wall and on the Carlisle and Silloth railway, 3¼ miles W NW of Carlisle; and has a station on the railway. The churchyard here was probably the site of a mile castle on the Roman wall; and a garden in the village contains a Roman altar, brought from Kirksteads, about a mile S. ...


The vallum of the wall is slightly traceable in the neighbourhood. The parish contains also the hamlet of Hosket-Hill; and its posttown is Carlisle. Acres, 1, 050. Real property, £1, 542. Pop., 120. Houses, 23. The manor belongs to the Earl of Lonsdale. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Beaumont, in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £249.* Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The churchyard is still in use; but the church has disappeared; and the church of Beaumont serves for the united parishes.

Kirkandrews upon Eden through time

Kirkandrews upon Eden is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirkandrews upon Eden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirkandrews upon Eden, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1567

Date accessed: 18th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirkandrews upon Eden ".