Place:


Gosforth  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gosforth like this:

GOSFORTH, a village and a parish in Whitehaven district, Cumberland. The village stands 3 miles ENE of Sea-scale r. station, and 6¾ SE by S of Egremont; and has a post office under Whitehaven. The parish includes also the hamlets of Bolton, Boon-Wood, and Newton. Acres, 8, 626; of which 226 are water. ...


Real property, exclusive of Newton, £5, 032. Pop., 1, 146. Houses, 221. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £104.* Patrons, the Representatives of Sir H. F. Senhouse. The church shows Norman features, and is neat and good. A tall pillar, supposed to be Danish, sculptured all over with curious devices, stands in the churchyard, and was formerly surmounted by a cross. There is a national school.

Gosforth through time

Gosforth is now part of Copeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Copeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gosforth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gosforth, in Copeland and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1562

Date accessed: 04th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gosforth ".