Place:


Felixstowe  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Felixstowe like this:

FELIXSTOW, or Felstow, a parish in Woodbridge district, Suffolk; on the coast, between the rivers Deben and Stour, near Bawdsey Haven and Landguard Fort, 4½ miles NE of Harwich r. station, and 11½ SE of Ipswich. It has a post office, of the name of Felixstow, under Ipswich. Acres, 2, 823; of which 900 are water. ...


Real property, £4, 016. Pop., 673. Houses, 118. A small headland bears the name of Felixstow Point. The name Felixstow is said to have been derived from Felix, the Burgundian, who landed here on his first arrival in England, and became the first Bishop of Dunwich. A priory was built here by Roger Bigod, dedicated to Felix, made subject to Rochester abbey, and given, at the dissolution, to Cardinal Wolsey and the Seckfords; but has completely disappeared. Edward III. resided at Old Hall here, for some time previous to his expedition to France; and some remains of his residence still exist. Felixstow Cottage is the seat of Sir Samuel Fludyer, Bart. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Walton, in the dio. of Norwich. The church is good. A railway to F. from Westerfield station was authorised in 1865.

Felixstowe through time

Felixstowe is now part of Suffolk Coastal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Suffolk Coastal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Felixstowe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Felixstowe in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/154

Date accessed: 07th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Felixstowe ".