Place:


Chearsley  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chearsley like this:

CHEARSLEY, a parish in Aylesbury district, bucks; on a branch of the river Thame, 3½ miles NNE of Thame r. station, and 7½ WSW of Aylesbury. Post town, Thame. Acres, 1, 130. Real property, £1, 533 Pop., 287. Houses, 66. The property is divided among a few. Chearsley is the Cerdicesleagh of the Saxon chronicle; and was the scene of a defeat of the Britons by Cerdic and Cyndric. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £68. Patron, J. Oades, Esq. The church has a brass of 1462, and is good. There is a Baptist chapel.

Chearsley through time

Chearsley is now part of Aylesbury Vale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aylesbury Vale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chearsley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chearsley, in Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1477

Date accessed: 01st December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chearsley ".