Place:


Little Wittenham  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Wittenham like this:

WITTENHAM (Little), a parish in Wallingford district, Berks; on the Thames, 4¼ miles NE of Didcot r. station, and 4 NW by N of Wallingford. Post town, Long Wittenham, under Abingdon. Acres, 870. Real property, £1,714. Pop., 134. Houses, 26. The manor belongs to G. H. Cherry, Esq. Ancient camps are on W. hills. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £400.* Patron, W. E. Hilliard, Esq. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1863.

Little Wittenham through time

Little Wittenham is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Little Wittenham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Wittenham, in South Oxfordshire and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1472

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Little Wittenham ".