Place:


Waltham St Lawrence  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Waltham St Lawrence like this:

WALTHAM-ST. LAWRENCE, a parish, with a village, in Cookham district, Berks; 2¾ miles ENE of Twyford r. station. It has a post-office under Twyford, and a fair on 11 Aug. Acres, 3,468. Real property, £5,710. Pop., 848. Houses, 165. The property is much subdivided. A Roman camp is at Castle-Acre; and Roman coins, urns, and other relics have there been found. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £211. Patron, Lord Braybrooke. The church was restored in 1847. A chapel of ease is at Scurlock. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, an endowed school with £35 a year, and charities £35.

Waltham St Lawrence through time

Waltham St Lawrence is now part of Windsor and Maidenhead district. Click here for graphs and data of how Windsor and Maidenhead has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Waltham St Lawrence itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Waltham St Lawrence, in Windsor and Maidenhead and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1468

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Waltham St Lawrence ".