Place:


Upton  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upton like this:

UPTON, a chapelry in Blewberry parish, Berks; 2½ miles SSW of Didcot r. station, and 6 WSW of Wallingford. Post town, Wallingford. Acres, 1,378. Real property, £1,985. Pop., 306. Houses, 63. The property is chiefly divided among five. The living is a vicarage, united with Aston-Upthorpe, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £88. Patron, the Bishop of O. The church is Norman, but was recently about to be superseded by a new edifice. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and a national school.

Upton through time

Upton is now part of Vale of White Horse district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale of White Horse has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Upton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upton, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1465

Date accessed: 19th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Upton ".