Place:


North Moreton  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Moreton like this:

MORETON (NORTH), a village and a parish in Wallingford district, Berks. The village stands near the Great Western railway, 3 miles ESE of Didcot r. station, and 3 W of Wallingford. The parish comprises 1,103 acres. Post town, Wallingford. Real property, £2,191. Pop., 352. Houses, 77. The property is subdivided. ...


The manor belongs to M.Greenwood, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £230 * Patron, the Archdeacon of Berks. The church was built in 1290; is in good condition; has a low tower; and contains a curious ancient water-drain, and some old monuments. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, and a parochial school.

North Moreton through time

North Moreton is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Moreton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Moreton, in South Oxfordshire and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1455

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Moreton ".