Place:


Farthingstone  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Farthingstone like this:

FARTHINGSTONE, a parish in Daventry district, Northampton; 3 miles SSW of Weedon r. station, and 5½ SW by S of Daventry. It has a post office under Weedon. Acres, 1,820. Real property, £2, 818. Pop., 316. Houses, 78. The property is much subdivided. A double-ditched camp, of 13 acres, with lofty keep and mount, is on the brow of a hill; was found, on excavation, to have two vaulted rooms, one over the other; and bears the name of Castle-Dykes. ...


Another ancient camp, of seven acres, is within the parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £285.* Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is ancient and handsome; has an embattled tower; and recently underwent complete repair. Charities, £7.

Farthingstone through time

Farthingstone is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Farthingstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Farthingstone, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14527

Date accessed: 23rd July 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Farthingstone".